A professional tea house in East Village is looking for apprentices who have a strong desire and determination to learn about traditional Chinese tea and become an expert in the field.
Must apply with relevant cover letter and resume and available immediately noon - midnight Tuesday through Thursday, and Friday noon - 3 pm. Please specify your interest and availability in the cover letter.
ABOUT TEA DRUNK
Tea Drunk in New York City is a destination for those who seek exceptional tea and tea knowledge. Every tea in our selection is harvested for only 10 to 15 days a year from historically renowned tea mountains. Every bud and leaf is handpicked and handcrafted meticulously by heritage farmers in the utmost traditional way. We are a producer of the world’s most prized teas.
As an apprentice of Tea Drunk, you will be working up to being able to run the teahouse alone, which includes comfortably serving customers, to introduce teas, to make recommendations, to brew tea in a gai wan, and to answer any tea-related questions they have. Apprentices also have responsibilities of everyday upkeep of the tea house, including cleaning dishes and certain shop opening and closing procedures. You may also be given tasks to update the website, fulfill mail orders, keep inventory and do social media posts.
You are expected to learn proactively the fundamentals of Chinese tea pivot around terroir, varietal and crafting styles. You are expected to attend classes and workshops as well as read all of our written materials about tea. An apprentice will overtime cultivate a highly discerning palate that translates into hyper intuitive expertise that is backed by structured knowledge.
We are a small start up but with big sense of duty to open access in the West to the highest of Chinese tea as well as cultivating awareness in preservation of a disappearing art. We are looking for individuals who share our passion and want to grow with us. The right candidate should take pride in the work itself and find it rewarding the process of becoming an expert.
- Two years or more of work experience in tea, wine, fine dining or start-up
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Consistently mindful of simple and repetitive tasks and do them to perfection
- Ability to quickly prioritize and organize multiple tasks under pressure
- Independent learner who takes initiative to improve professionally
- Proactive go-getter who takes ownership of responsibilities
- Team player who is able to cultivate rapport during every day work as well as stressful times
- Friendly and enthusiastic about sharing tea with our guests and engaging them in learning about tea
- Expertly introduce and brew tea for customers
- Provide a friendly and professional tea experience for customers
- Cleaning and upkeep the tea house, teaware and dishes
- Perform tea house opening and closing routines
- Maintaining inventory and caretaking the teas
- Update website and assist with event planning and posting
- Fulfill mail orders and reply customer inquiries
- Social media posts when on duty
- Uphold Tea Drunk’s high standards and maintain our brand image
Preference will be given to candidates with full availability Tuesday to Thursday noon-midnight, Friday noon-3pm. Please do not call the tea house directly. Both cover letter and resume are required. There will be an unpaid (3 shifts) trial period before official hire.
This is a tipped position, $8 hour + tips.
When come in for interview, please be prepared to brew tea with a gai wan or answer questions about tea or wine, if these are prior skills you are bringing in.